Checkin Policies: How do you handle these?

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:31 AM
How do you handle check-in policies? Our TFS server has a checkin-policy that requires we bind every checkin to at least one work item. However, SvnBridge seems to ignore these. I actually hate the checkin policy, and as such I like that SvnBridge ignores them (even though this may be unintended). I'm just wondering if having those policies in affect on the TFS server could cause any issues with the SvnBridge client. If you could confirm this I'd greatly appreciate it.
Mar 25, 2008 at 12:08 PM
Well, SvnBridge does let you associate it with a work item.
We are using the public API, so I don't think that there is an issue with bypassing that.
It is possible that checkin policies are enforced at the client level, however.
Mar 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM
I'm not a big expert on TFS, so I can't be sure if it is on the client level or not. All I know is that after every time I click "Ok" on the Checkin dialog in visual studio team explorer, a new window comes up before the transfer process begins prompting me that a policy has not been satisfied. It also gives me the option of overriding or ignoring the policy and I'm then required to fill in a reason. When I perform checkins using SvnBridge, no such prompt occurs (And I don't see how it could, it is very specific to TFS).
Mar 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM
I will ping someone who might know. But from the description, it sounds like this is enforced by the client.
I am assuming that the TFS server thinks that in SvnBridge case, we have explicitly ignored the policy.
Apr 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM
Check-in policies are not enforced by SvnBridge. Having check-in policies defined on your TFS server won't interfere with using SvnBridge because the TFS server doesn't enforce them, it leaves enforcement up to the client.