Problems connecting to CodePlex

May 10, 2008 at 10:58 AM
I have installed SvnBridge on my Vista laptop, and have been trying to check out various CodePlex projects (which I can successfully do on my XP desktop) using TortoiseSVN. It seems that almost every time I attempt to checkout, I only get the first one or two files and then it hangs for several minutes. Eventually SvnBridge will throw a connection error, or possibly even crash. What is worse, is that having done this it leaves the checked out folder in a strange state, so that subsequent attempts to do a SVN Update will either fail in the same way or simply report that the update has completed without getting any more files. I have to delete the contents of the folder and do a SVN Clean before it will even consider getting any more files.

Here's a sample error message from the errors.log file:

<log level="Error">
  <message><![CDATA[Failed to download mvcsamples/Commerce.MVC/Commerce.MVC.Data/Category.cs retry #1]]></message>
  <exception><![CDATA[System.Net.WebException: Could not download file:
https://tfs07.codeplex.com/VersionControl/v1.0/item.asmx?type=rsa&sfid=116702,99411,72154,99399,99401,116596,72158,122967,109716,117609&ts=633460487806970608&s=GT%2Bc%2BEQX6E2WZzOcRZ9dq%2FfgquaE2RsPTbPWut5Qx2%2F%2F8TX2iucMLyw3lkFIy7WI2bDiC6z6VLl%2BCNhrrU2yEJT20JfhPLfAMJhrJt%2Fv8Utfm84nTsYVE%2Fy2dLkLIn3%2B2ev8cicBN%2FmGoD9sHP2qPpycMsh8go1JX3uF4GMbKao%3D&fid=116596 ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 207.46.208.99:443
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at CodePlex.TfsLibrary.ObjectModel.WebTransferService.GetResponseCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at CodePlex.TfsLibrary.ObjectModel.WebTransferService.EndDownloadBytes(IAsyncResult ar)
   at SvnBridge.SourceControl.TFSSourceControlProvider.<>c__DisplayClass15.<DownloadFileAsync>b__14(IAsyncResult ar)]]></exception>
</log>

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can successfully use Tortoise SVN to check out other repositories, so I know that is not the problem. After dozens of attempts I have only managed to get two CodePlex projects successfully checked out.
May 12, 2008 at 9:58 AM
I've made a bit of progress on this issue. I decided to clean out the contents of my SvnBridge folder as I noticed there was a MetaDataCache and a FileCache folder and wondered if they had got corrupted. It took Windows Explorer over an hour to delete the 740.000+ items in these folders. After this, I successfully managed to perform a checkout of a project, although even then it hung for a long time recreating several thousand files in the MetaDataCache, before TortoiseSVN showed the files actually being retrieved.

Why does SvnBridge need to create so many thousands of files, and why are they persisted after it has finished running? I had thought SvnBridge was doing little more than passing commands and data directly to and from Subversion.

Mark
May 13, 2008 at 3:45 AM
SvnBridge caches the files on disk.  740,000+ files?  That's quite a bit, how big are the repositories you are checking out?
May 13, 2008 at 7:13 AM

jwanagel wrote:
SvnBridge caches the files on disk.  740,000+ files?  That's quite a bit, how big are the repositories you are checking out?

The one I was trying to get was mvcsamples:
http://localhost:8081/tfs07.codeplex.com/mvcsamples
I did manage to get hold of kigg after only a couple of attempts
http://localhost:8081/tfs06.codeplex.com/kigg
mvcmembership was also causing me problems.
http://localhost:8081/tfs07.codeplex.com/mvcmembership

those were the only 3 I had tried checking out at the point I cleared my cache.
May 20, 2008 at 12:27 AM
I just checked in a change that adds a "CacheEnabled" configuration setting that you can set to "False" if you don't want the cache files created.  Try doing your checkouts again with that set to False and see if that works any better for you.
May 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM
I have just tested using checkin 18352 and all seems to be working well. Thanks.

Mark